Monday, June 27, 2011

Empty Nest

Early in the spring we were excited to watch a robin build a nest in the window sill of our utility room. She built her nest and within a day, she had laid three eggs. We Googled how long they had to incubate and found out it takes two weeks.

Almost to the day, we had this:

Immediately, they wanted to eat...

Within two days, we had three new additions to our family.

I kept the camera right there by the window, and mama was not too thrilled with me at times.

Within five days, they really started to change and began to look like pre-historic creatures as their feathers started to come in.

At eight days they were pretty well covered with feathers and wanted to eat all.the.time. At this point, that is all the mama did; she searched for food and fed her babies.

There really wasn't room for her in the nest anymore.

On day fourteen, I looked out and saw this...

One baby sitting on the edge.

The others were gone.

I went out to take pictures and he jumped to the ground.

Mama was in the tree "yelling" at me, so I went back inside and let him hop around the yard.

I hope they all survived...

We will leave the nest in the window sill to see if she returns next year.

I hope...

2 comments:

that girl said...

robins always built by my house in CV too. aren't they great to watch?

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.