Saturday, November 1, 2008

We Did It!

Early this morning B left for a one night camping trip with the Boy Scouts. C1 had spent the night with my mom so it was just C2 and I here.

"Can we do something?" he asked.

"Sure," I replied. "It's a beautiful day. What do you want to do?"

"I want to build that marble thing of B's" he said.

Oh man! I thought. I don't want to build that!

But I knew he really wanted to. Just the fact that he came up the idea so quick means that he had been thinking about it for awhile.

With B gone, today really was the perfect day.

My mom got this kit for B for Christmas maybe four or five years ago. He really got a lot of use out of it. But, he always had to do it in his room. Four or five years ago, C2 would have been three or four and C1 just six or seven. There would have been no way he could have built that in the living room. It just would not have worked.

So, because he always had to do it in his room, he pretty much did it by himself. I would always go up to see how he was coming and make suggestions, but could not stay long with two young ones dying to get their hands on it.

He never seemed to mind and really did make some really cool tracks that went all over his room.

So, here is the picture on the box,


and here is C2 with ours.


Altogether it took us about two and a half hours.

C2 was VERY excited that we got it to work. I think I really impressed him.

When we finished though I couldn't help but feel a little sad. I felt so bad that B always did it by himself. This was really hard. I know in my mind that that is what he wanted, because he didn't want C1 and C2 to mess it up. But in my heart, because that time with him is now gone, I am sorry.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! You two really did a great job!

Anonymous said...

You know S I have been sitting here thinking about Brad, and you know I really don't think he wanted any help building that thing, even though I do know where you are coming from with not doing it with him. I just remember the look on his face when he got it done, remember he had it up for awhile just so he could show everyone, he was so proud of himself that he had figured it all out on his own!! As soon as a family member walked in the front door of your house, before you could even get your coat off, Brad was begging you to go up to his room to see what he had made. I don't really remember what it looked like, but I do remember that look on his face, he was beaming, he was so proud of himself, and I remember him explaining to me how he built this part and that part and how you had to have everything just right for the marbles to go like they should. And of course he had everything going perfectly like it should go. No offence, but I really can't see Caleb or Courtney doing it on their own the way Brad could, I just don't think they could do it, but I knew Brad would be able to do it and he loved the challenge of doing it, so don't be so hard on yourself, maybe when he gets home they can all make something together! I just had a really funny thought, could you see Courtney and Caleb trying to build it on their own together with no help? Just the thought of it makes me laugh, I can hear all their talking about how to do it!

that girl said...

it looks great! and yeah, mom is right...each child is different...maybe B wanted to go it alone. whatever each does, it is to be celebrated! and your time with C2 is to be commended... it can be hard to spend two and half hours on one thing...yeah for you and for C2!!

Steph said...

Looks like you two had a very fun day together