Friday, August 29, 2008

My Great Grandma's House

This is my great grandma's house.

This is the house that my grandma grew up in.

When I was much younger, we would go there and spend what seemed like the whole summer there. I'm really not too sure how long we would stay. One week, two? I do remember having a lot of fun though.

This older picture I got from my grandma. Her two sisters are pictured here and what I suppose are cousins. Her older sister is sitting on the steps and her younger sister is the blond, on the left.

I chose this picture because the front porch was such an important part of the house. I remember sitting there after a bath, listening to the crickets and watching the lightening bugs with my great grandma. I remember watching the cows in the field across the road from this front porch. I remember one time, my uncles and I had found a turtle. We took it back to the porch and watched it.



This picture I took on our day trip a few weeks ago. Not too far from Hocking Hills is where my grandma grew up in a very small town called New Plymouth. It's maybe fifteen minutes from Hocking Hills.

The house has been updated. The banisters have been changed, but four of the five posts are the same. Too bad the fancy woodwork around the top could not have been saved. Takes away some of the charm. I have a feeling though, that the front steps are the same. It's also obvious that the porch is still a very important part of this house.


I'm glad my kids got to see this small piece of our family's history.

I wonder if my great grandchildren will drive by here someday and remember me?

1 comment:

that girl said...

you sure are the nostalgic one lately. great shot of the porch. I have always wanted a house with a big front porch. I had one when I was much younger, then we moved when I was in the 7th grade and then, no front porch. still is today..in my own home, no real front porch.

can I come and sit on your porch?