Friday, January 30, 2009

My Uncle


Today is my uncle's birthday.

He would have been 49 years old today.


This is my Uncle John.

He was more like a brother than an uncle to me.


Growing up, my cousin and I spent a lot of time at my grandparent's house. John was always around and willing to play. He let us hang out in his room. He took us places. He teased us.

After I graduated from High School, I worked for John. He and I became very close during these years. Some of the memories from those years are my favorite. John was always good for a laugh. Chevy Chase was his favorite actor. He mimicked lots of Chevy's jokes and actions. I can't watch any old Chevy Chase film without thinking of John.

John was the best man at our wedding. He was B's Godfather. C2 is named after him.

John did not live to know my children. He died when B was nine months old.

Oh, the things he could have taught them. He was a computer wizard waaay before computers were cool. He never held a cell phone. He never used the Internet. He never watched a DVD.

He designed and constructed so many things for his personal use. He was creative. He loved to cook. I see a lot of his characteristics in B. I think they would have gotten along great.

John died at the age of thirty four.

He took his own life. To this day, we still ask ourselves, "Why?"

I have now outlived him. This saddens me.

One thing that has helped get me through this is something our pastor said that night.

He said, "You have to look at this as a giant leap of faith. He knew that there had to be a better place."

I like to think that is true.

5 comments:

that girl said...

I am so sad for you! at times like these, we wonder why....

the photo of you in the red sweater looks just like C1.

Mom of Three said...

That picture was actually taken in Chicago!

Good luck with that!! said...

gulp your making me tear up...those pictures are flashbacks, I left so soon after graduation. I remember him from when we were little. And he was the best, I was always in awe, he was older and cool, and cute. I have the picture of us dancing at your wedding. That is my last memory of him.

Blank Space said...

He was soooo into computers way before they were cool. I remember he hooked up his camera to the computer so we could see the live pictures on his screen. I thought it was soo cool. It was years before digital cameras were even thought about.

He was the first person to teach me that computers could be used as a creative tool. Now I use my computer everyday for my graphic design work. I wish I would have gotten to know him as an adult.

Love!

Mom of Three said...

Ooh Mindi!

You make me cry. He would have LOVED what you are doing!

Love you!