Saturday, October 11, 2008

Happy Belated Birthday

Yesterday was my grandma's 82nd birthday.



My grandma has been a very important part of my life.

Every Friday growing up, my cousin L and I would spend the night with my grandma and grandad. We watched Duke's of Hazzard and made a bed on the couch. Then in the morning, Grandma would make pancakes. These were not ordinary pancakes. These were made to order. If you wanted you pancake in the shape of a cat, you got a cat. She would attempt any shape you requested and no matter what it looked like, you told her it was perfect.

As I got older, I grew to appreciate my grandma in a differest light. She was full of knowlege. I would call her for recipes. (you have no idea how many time I had to ask how long to boil eggs for easter) I would call her for advice on sick babies. I would call her about the flowers growing in my yard. She knew it all.

My grandma is slowly losing her memory. The other day, she didn't recognize my voice on the phone. That really hurt.

But, in so many ways, she is still herself.

Last night my mom, my grandma, my two aunts, my cousin T, C1 and myself sat around her kitchen table laughing and talking. I will cherrish that time forever.

Happy Birthday Grandma!

1 comment:

that girl said...

you don't need anyone to tell you to cherish these times.. even if she doesn't recognize your voice on the phone, she always knows who you are & what you mean in her heart. give her a kiss for me, will you?