Sunday, October 5, 2008

Old Friends

Last January I got the chance to go away for the weekend with three of my best friends from my younger days.

We all met around ten years old. We were inseparable. The great thing was, three of us remained friends all through High School. The other had moved around eighth grade or she would have been there too.

A and I had talked about getting together for a year or so, but never really took the initiative to get it all started until J's mom died and we just knew that now was the time.

We decided to meet in Nashville, TN. I was so excited! This was the first time that all four of us had been together in twenty four years. Would things be the same? What would we talk about? Would we still have anything in common?

Within the first hour we had cried at the sight of each other, laughed until we cried, and looked at old photographs to bring back a lot of memories! Nothing had changed! We were those twelve year old girls again! We were not so and so's mom. We were not Mrs. M, the Kindergarten Aide. We were not the Band Card Lady or the PTO Treasurer. And we were definitely not some one's wife!

We were four friends with forty eight hours ahead of us!



We really only left the hotel twice.

We were in Nashville after all! We had to go take a look around!





Most of the time was spent reliving memories.

These were the three people that knew the real me. These were the people that understood some of the stupid sayings I have. These were the people that I shared some of the best years of my life with.




The neat thing was that when we got home, we all had the same thing to say.

We had changed a little bit, and it was really unexplainable.

We all had stories from the weekend, but they were our stories, not stories to share. They were a little piece of us that we could keep to ourselves.



Why am I writing this now?

Because talk has started up about our next meeting, possibly in January.

And I can't wait!!!

3 comments:

that girl said...

I am jealous...I want to do that, too!

Good luck with that!! said...

Camera's are forbidden from the next trip!!! Let's keep all of the trip for ourselves..

P.s Can't wait either..makes me smile just thinking about it...

Nat said...

Awwww! Got a little teary reading that. Cannot wait for the next one!!!!