Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What's Your Scent?

Over the years I have tried many different dishwashing liquids.

I've tried the bargain brands. I've tried the fancy scents like "green apple" or "springtime blossoms" or whatever.

But I always come back to this.


It's not because it does a better job washing the dishes.

It's not because it makes my hands softer when I do the dishes.

It's because when I squirt it in the sink with the water running, it takes me back. It takes me back to the summers of my youth. It takes me back to my grandparent's driveway. It takes me back to washing cars with my uncle.

A time and a person that I miss dearly.

They are both gone.



What scent takes you back?

4 comments:

Good luck with that!! said...

Here I am!! I remember washing cars in your grandma's driveway, and now I have to go buy some of that. The smell I love is the beach. I brings me back to being newly married and going to the beach, it smelled so different than anything before, reminds me of vacations, my kids as babies, we lived at the beach when they were little, they never go bored. I would have clothes that dried at the beach and smell like the ocean, and I would be hard pressed to wash them. I still try to buy lotion and soap that smell like the ocean. But there is really nothing that can compare.

Mom of Three said...

Um, don't you still live by the beach? Can't you go there still? I totally would ALL the time!

Good luck with that!! said...

I do..but not as much as I would like..Ian and I went last week, for like 2 hours. It's a 45min drive and seems like a long drive for only a couple of hours. But sometimes, I just can't stand it. It must be done, if only for a little while, I gotta have my fix.

Steph said...

I use the same dishwashing soap. The scent I will always remember is from my grandmas house. She always had dove bar soap in her bathroom. It always smelled of roses. Funny the things you remember.